TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator For Dummies
by C. C. Edwards (Author)
C.C. Edwards is an instructor at Coastal Carolina University. Previously, she was the editor of Eightysomething, Texas Instruments' newsletter that explored the features of graphing calculators for parents and educators.
Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: For Dummies; 1 edition (December 19, 2003)
Friendly Guide That Help You Explore Your TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator and Use It for All It’s Worth
Would you order a multi-course gourmet buffet and just eat salad? If you have a TI-83 Plus graphing calculator, you have a veritable feast of features and functions at your fingertips, but chances are you don’t take full advantage of them. This friendly guide will help you explore your TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator and use it for all it’s worth, and that’s a lot. With easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions plus screen shots, TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator For Dummies shows you how to:
- Perform basic arithmetic operations
- Use Zoom and panning to get the best screen display
- Use all the functions in the Math menu, including the four submenus: MATH, NUM, CPS, and PRB
- Use the fantastic Finance application to decide whether to lease or get a loan and buy, calculate the best interest, and more
- Graph and analyze functions by tracing the graph or by creating a table of functional values, including graphing piecewise-defined and trigonometric functions
- Explore and evaluate functions, including how to find the value, the zeros, the point of intersection of two functions, and more
- Draw on a graph, including line segments, circles, and functions, write text on a graph, and do freehand drawing
- Work with sequences, parametric equations, and polar equations
- Use the Math Probability menu to evaluate permutations and combinations
- Enter statistical data and graph it as a scatter plot, histogram, or box plot, calculate the median and quartiles, and more
- Deal with matrices, including finding the inverse, transpose, and determinant and using matrices to solve a system of linear equations
Once you discover all you can do with your TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator, you’ll find out how to make it do more! This guide shows you how to download and install the free TI Connect software to connect your calculator to your computer, and how to link it to other calculators and transfer files. It shows you how to help yourself to more than 40 applications you can download from the TI Web site, and most of them are free. You can choose from Advanced Finance, CellSheet, that turns your calculator into a spread sheet, NoteFolio that turns it into a word processor, Organizer that lets you schedule events, create to-do lists, save phone numbers and e-mail addresses, and more.
Get this book and discover how your TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator can solve all kinds of problems for you.
Use this cool tool to perform dozens of tasks!
Do simple and complex calculations, analyze loans, even send files to your PC
Nothing can crunch numbers like your TI-83 Plus, and this handy guide makes the crunching easy! In no time you’ll be punching those buttons to convert decimals to fractions, find factorials, compare interest rates, graph and analyze functions and sequences, tame random numbers, manage matrices, and even have your calculator sharing stuff with your PC.
The Dummies Way
- Explanations in plain English
- "Get in, get out" information
- Icons and other navigational aids
- Tear-out cheat sheet
- Top ten lists
- A dash of humor and fun
Discover how to:
- Solve equations and systems of equations
- Graph functions, parametric equations, and sequences
- Use complex numbers
- Multiply, reduce, and solve matrices
- Add applications to your calculator
By Janice D. Williams
User Rating: ★★★★★
TI-83 graphing calculator. This calculator will give my grandson all of the information necessary through his high school years.
It was recommended by his teacher.
User Rating: ★★★★★
A very happy customer. I ordered this book on saturday morning (5/18/2013) and the book was in my mailbox by 4 pm monday evening (5/20/2013). I ordered a used box and it was just like a brand new book. I received this book much faster than I expected.
By Joe R.
User Rating: ★★★★
Excellent companion to the calculator. Others have said this as well... if you are buying the calculator, buy this as well and just ignore the manual included with the device. This is much more clear, easier to follow, and lets you focus on the areas you really need rather than trying to work through every function on a very complicated device. My son had no problem learning how to use it for the features he needs as a freshman, and I know he'll have no trouble as he advances in math for other features as well. Highly recommended!
By ANDREW M HUNTER
User Rating: ★★★
TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator For Dummies. This is a great, helpful book. Only thing is that it's hard to find the answers fast. I mean your getting the book because you are a dummy at the Graphing Calculator...it would be very helpful if it had a video to go with it. Even being that the cost would increase.
Even though the answers are in the book, You don't know enough to find them because it's written as if you already know something about the calculator and the functions...but of coure you don't, hense you are buying the dummies book. I had to go to you-tube a lot and type in the wording to describe the particular calculation my son was attempting to do that was his homework assignment. I would always find it on youtube, and then I would know how to find it in the book after that. So, a computer CD-Rom to go with the book would be a big plus, with clear titles to direct you to the function, and it's way to do it on the calculator.
By Ron J
User Rating: ★★★
It assumes the owner has a general understanding of the calculator. I bought the book to help familiarize myself with the calculator so that I could assist my grandsons with their algebra graphing. The calculator is a very powerful tool but the book did very little to increase my understanding of the general techniques and principles. I have found that the free instructions on U-tube are a lot more helpful than this book. Sorry!
Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator
An easy to use & perfect graphing calculator for school classes ranging from algebra through calculus & biology to physics, TI-83 Plus is enhanced with Flash technology for flexibility in adding software applications & additional functionality.